The Main Gallery of the Whitewater Historical Society’s Depot Museum of Local History consists of a permanent chronological display of Whitewater history. The gallery’s exhibits begin with the Pre-History era (pre-1836) and then reflect Whitewater’s growth and development during the Pioneer Era (1837-1855), Civil War Era (1861-1865), Maturing Village Era (1855-1870), Industrial Era (1870-1900), Agricultural and Commercial Era (1900-1945), Normal School to University (1868-present), and Post World War II Era (1945-present).
These exhibits use items from the museum’s collections – objects, manuscripts, and reproduced images – to illustrate each of these time periods. Although the exhibits are permanent, the Society expects to “refresh” them periodically by changing out items from the museum’s collections.
The Temporary Gallery of the Whitewater Historical Society’s Depot Museum of Local History is used to display many of the museum’s objects, manuscripts, and images that we cannot display permanently. The temporary gallery’s exhibits rotate on a frequent basis, and each exhibit centers around a specific Whitewater History theme. In recent years, the temporary exhibits have included Whitewater and the railroad, women’s history in Whitewater, the 150th anniversary of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, and Whitewater’s history through photographs.